Otoplasty is a cosmetic ear surgery performed by the best ear surgeon in India Dr. Parag Telang to change the shape, size, or positioning of the ear. This surgery can be carried out to rectify a structural deformity of the external ears caused by injury/trauma or a birth defect and when the person is embarrassed with prominent ears (i.e. external ears protruding from sides of the head). It can be done for any age group, but only for people with adult-sized (fully-developed) ears. The operation takes place only on the auricle part (i.e. outer ear composed of skin and cartilage). It ensures that the hearing ability is not impaired and the desired location of the ears is not changed. Dr. Parag Telang is an expert otoplasty surgeon who performs the best otoplasty surgery in India and has helped many patients from all over the world to get the desired look.
Who is best suited for otoplasty surgery?
People might consider otoplasty if they have-
- Ears sticking out from the head
- Ears those are not proportional to the head i.e. either too small or large than normal.
- Structural abnormality of ears because of trauma, injury, or birth defects.
Suitable candidates are healthy individuals who are not suffering from any medical condition. Even people who are not satisfied with earlier ear surgery can undergo otoplasty surgery. Smokers are not good candidates for the procedure as smoking can delay healing.
What to expect?
At the initial consultation, Dr. Parag Telang otoplasty surgeon in Mumbai reviews the patient’s medical history and current health status. A thorough examination is carried out of the ears to evaluate the shape, location, and size of the abnormal ear structure. Then some measurements and photographs of the ear are taken to compare with the after results and save them as medical records. There is also a detailed discussion between Dr. Parag Telang and the patient regarding the goals of the surgery, the expectations of the patient, associated risks, benefits, and costs of the surgery that includes an entire treatment plan.
Before the surgery- Usually, local anesthesia with a sedative is provided to numb the treatment site and this helps make the procedure comfortable. In some cases, (especially young children) general anesthesia may be given.
- The patient must avoid anti-inflammatory drugs, blood thinners, or supplements as they pose a risk of bleeding during the surgery.
- Before and after the surgery, consumption of alcohol and smoking must be avoided for a few weeks.
Otoplasty Surgery procedure-
An otoplasty surgery varies for different patients based on what kind of correction is required. It is an outpatient procedure that usually gets completed within 1-3 hours depending upon the complexity and specificity of the procedure. Generally, otoplasty surgery involves the following steps:
- Making of incisions- The cut is made with a sharp surgical instrument either within the inner creases of the ears or on back of the ear so that the post-surgical scars remain hidden.
- Shaping the ear tissues- This involves the excision of excess cartilage or skin, folding of the cartilage into desired ear mold using permanent stitches, or grafting of cartilage from other sites to the ear.
- Closing of incisions- It is done with the help of sutures. Lastly, the ears may be covered in surgical dressing or bandages for better support and protection after otoplasty.
Result and recovery-
Immediately after otoplasty surgery, the patient is likely to experience some itching or discomfort. When bandages are removed, the ears must appear normal from the following perspectives:
Front perspective: The helical rim is visible but not set back so far that it hides behind the anti-helical fold.
Rear perspective: The helical rim is straight and not bent-shaped. Moreover, the upper, middle and lower third area of the pinna proportionately setbacks in relation to each other.
Side perspective: The ear contour is natural and soft rather than being artificial and sharp.
These changes in ear appearance are permanent.
To know more about otoplasty cost in India, one can contact the best ear cosmetic surgeon, Dr. Parag Telang.
- If the patients feel some kind of discomfort or itching, they must take prescribed pain relievers as recommended by the doctor.
- Avoid sleeping on the side to keep pressure off the ears.
- For a few days, wear shirts with loose-fitted collars or buttoned tops.
- Take an appointment with the doctor to remove bandages after a few days and check for the progress of recovery and the desired results. Some stitches dissolve on their own so talk to the doctor when or if stitches will be removed.
- Wear a loose headband that covers ears at night for at least 2 to 6 weeks.
- Limit physical activities for 3-5 weeks after surgery.
- Avoid swimming for 8-10 weeks.
- Do not rub, scratch, or put excessive force over the incision area.
- Stay hydrated.
Benefits of otoplasty surgery:
- It helps to optimize ear symmetry when done on both ears.
- It corrects the protruding ears that affect facial aesthetics and self-esteem.
- It creates a natural shape and projection for ears that bring them in balance and in harmony with the face.
International patients from the USA and England, if planning to undergo otoplasty surgery, can schedule an appointment with Dr. Parag Telang, for the best otoplasty surgery in Mumbai, India at The Microtia Trust, ear reconstruction clinic in India.
Leave a Reply