When we use the word “digital marketing agency Ottawa“, we are actually referring to online marketing efforts from a brand.
Therefore, if you are asking what is Digital Marketing (DM), here is your answer:
This is a practice in Business through which advertising messages are delivered through online channels such as websites, mobile apps, search engines, social media and emails. It helps a brand generate interest in their products among their consumers.
Though DM started gaining popularity in the year 2000. In the last couple of years it has revolutionised marketing communication.
In a real sense:
It is brand messaging (Advertisements) delivered through electronic channels such as Television, Radio, Internet etc. Electronic channels generate, store and transmit data in the series of the number 0 or 1.
It can happen both Online and Offline.
If the above is true, then
It existed ever since Guglielmo Marconi sent first wireless signals in 1896.
Isn’t that crazy!
However, the simple definition of DM does not say enough about the practice of digital marketing in today’s world.
This meaning is useless as technology is just the enabler of digital marketing. So let us understand what exactly digital marketing is?
What is Digital Marketing in Today’s Context?
In today’s context:
It is a set of interactive marketing promotion activities which are done online. These activities help an individual or organization reach its target audience and achieve its business & financial objectives.
Therefore when we say digital marketing, we are essentially referring to Online Digital Marketing.
The other form of DM is offline digital marketing, which happens on other electronic devices such as Radio or Television.
I know you are not here to read about radio or TV, so I will spare you (though I have invested millions of dollars on Offline marketing during my career).
Going forward in this article when I say “DM”, I am actually referring to “Online Digital marketing”, as that is what you intend to read here, right?
- It is a set of marketing activities and not just one activity.
- It is Interactive and not just one way. It enables two-way communication and is much more engaging compared to the other marketing methods. Interactivity is what distinguishes it from advertising on Television, which is also electronic but not interactive.
- It happens online. What it essentially means is that the activity is carried out on the Internet or telecom networks. Though it happens online, it can empower both the virtual or offline world. An example of DM in the virtual or online world is email marketing or social media marketing or search engine marketing. In the colloquial sense when we say digital marketing we refer to virtual or online marketing only. An example of this in the offline world is the use of tablets to showcase product offerings at a retail store.
- It helps an individual or organization. It is useful not only for large companies but also for individuals as well, unlike TV or newspaper advertising. One can take advantage of digital advertising on small budgets as well.
- It helps reach and engage the target audience. It is focused, and one can use multiple targeting methods to reach their audience.
- It helps achieve business and financial objectives. It is measurable & ROI driven. It helps achieve business & financial goals.
A lot is being said about digital marketing these days. This article attempts to see what it is all about and how we can use it to further our business.
Digital marketing – Definition
The advertising and promotion of a business through digital channels or media is called digital marketing. Digital media includes the radio, television, mobile, social media platforms, websites, etc. Any marketing that is delivered through electronic means is called digital marketing. However, any person to person marketing and print marketing is not considered digital marketing. Most items of today are connected to the digital world through QR codes, URL landing pages, text codes, bar codes and online directories.
Digital Media – Why The Focus?
The shift to digital media has become very popular because of the easy personalized access that every business owner has, and also because it is easier to track the progress and results of an advertising campaign at every stage. Another reason is the low-cost, engagement of customers allowed by the media, availability of the channel to businesses of any size and it is helpful for any owner of a new business.
For consumers, Internet marketing is a boon amidst their fast paced routines. Any consumer reached out to their mobile phone to seek out the products and services that they want.
How to Build Your Business and Brand with Internet Marketing?
You can effectively build a business of any size though digital marketing at a lower cost. The foundation of all digital marketing efforts of a business is its website. Ensure that your website has the following characteristics:
· Adequate representation of the brand
· Relates to target audience
· Is at the top of search engine listings
· Is easy to navigate
· Is up-to-date
· Provides channels through the customer can communicate
· Able to connect with other marketing efforts/channels
Build a business website using a firm that has expert knowledge in website building and search engine optimization. This is the most important investment of your business. Once the website has been made live then managing the content is most important. Timely email campaigns, publishing of blogs, reaching out through social media platforms, etc., assume more importance than ever as they can make or break your business. Use search engine optimization to attract your clients with the right words and meta phrases. It would also remain at the top of the search engine listings thus ensuring a good amount of traffic to the website.