- Blocking websites on your Google Chrome browser can be a smart idea to keep yourself on task at work or to keep your kids from browsing sites you don’t want them to see.
- Blocking sites on Chrome is as simple as two clicks thanks to a free, easy-to-use Chrome extension called BlockSite.
- There are various programmes that can help you block websites when you’re using Chrome on your mobile device.
- For more stories, go to Business Insider’s homepage.
Perhaps you’re setting up computers for a school, or perhaps you’re setting up a system for your own child at home. Perhaps you’re familiar with your own inclination to get sidetracked during the workday, surfing Reddit or Instagram when you should be, well, working.
Whatever reason you have for blocking websites in Google Chrome, the method is simple. You only need to install and learn how to use the BlockSite extension.
On a desktop, how to block websites in Google Chrome
Sign in to your Google account and then go to the top of the screen to your URL search bar.
- Type “block site extension” into Google.
- Select “Block Site – Website Blocker for ChromeTM – Google Chrome,” which should be the first or second option.
- Select “ADD TO CHROME” from the blue box at the top of the screen.
- Click “Add extension” in the popup box.
You should now see an orange shield icon with a cancel symbol in the top right corner of your screen. To access the settings, click that icon and then the gear icon at the top of the popup window.
Set a password and consider time-based “Work Mode” block settings in the BlockSite settings.
After that, you’ll be ready to start blocking websites. There are two options for doing so:
- On the BlockSite settings page, click “Block Sites” in the left-hand menu, then manually put in the websites you want to block in the right-hand bar.
- Navigate to the website you want to ban and click the red BlockSite shield, then select “Block this site” from the popup box.
Under the “Block by Words” tab of the BlockSite settings page, you can also block sites based on the language in their URLs.
You can update a site’s blocked status by clicking the shield, going to settings, and selecting the Block Sites option. To unblock the site in question, click the red circle with a white line.
On a mobile device, how do you block websites in Google Chrome?
If you have an Android phone, you can use the BlockSite app from the Google Play Store to block websites. There are countless other third-party apps that works on Android phones, but BlockSite is the one we recommend.
How to Unblock Certain Websites in Firefox
In Firefox, a block prohibits you from accessing online sites in your browser window. Blocks are most common when you use an add-on (a piece of software that performs specific duties) that protects you from visiting certain websites. Blocks are useful if you don’t want troublesome websites to appear on your company computer, but they’re easy to overlook once they’re in place. Edit the settings of the BlockSite, FoxFilter, or LeechBlock add-ons, which are often used to prevent sites from loading in Firefox, using the Firefox menu.